Friday 15 January 2016

Bring Back The Lights 2016 Video and Evaluation - REBECCA



Constraints experienced (limitations or restrictions)
At the beginning of my documentary, it was extremely difficult to use college equipment outside of the college environment. My documentary was about an issue located and situated in Sanderstead, so using cameras and technology was quite difficult. I was allowed to take a camera and a tripod home to use in the village of Sanderstead. I filmed all of the location shots on the camera owned by the college, I also used my Mac's camera at home to film the setting of Sanderstead which is included in my documentary. Coming to editing my documentary, there were a couple of sound errors which I fixed, but near to the end of the documentary, it is extremely hard to hear me talking which was difficult as I had already published the documentary. Other than these, there were no other limitations or constraints experienced in the process of the making of my documentary.

At the beginning of the production for my documentary, I was planning to travel to Enfield Town Park, located in Enfield, London (1 hour 26 minutes from Coulsdon College). I thought this would be a great location to film as this park also had a fireworks cancellation due to funding costs, so it would have been a great idea to get the views of residents near Enfield Town Park and see how this cancellation has effected them. As production went on, I spent a lot of time researching about the fireworks that affected the village of Sanderstead (my local village), and not enough research into Enfield's fireworks. I also didn't get to go to the village of Enfield due to funding costs, transportation and the amount of people involved in my project. In my planned final edit of my documentary, I was going to include footage of Enfield Town Park and asking local residents questions, but unfortunately in the final filmed edit, I mentioned no information on the village at all. 

Your management of the production

I feel like I managed my production very well as I managed the time in which I am allowed to use cameras to film in my documentary. Every shot was key in my production and I feel I managed this well to the best of my ability. I managed time outside of school to film shots outside of college grounds as I filmed the first minute of my documentary inside my house, located in Sanderstead, and also the village itself. I managed to interview people in a very organised matter, in which I organised a time slot for each interviewee to be interviewed. 

I seemed to be very organised in the production of my documentary, with presenting a final shooting script, location plan (I only shot at two locations, these locations were Sanderstead and Coulsdon College, Coulsdon). The final shooting script is presented here:

WELCOME TO SANDERSTEAD!!

Sanderstead is a small village situated in South Croydon which is here…(point anywhere)

It is also populated to almost over 13,000 people

There are 2 railway stations, 3 schools, and 4 churches situated here

Many notable celebrities lived in Sanderstead for a various period of time including Kate Moss, Kieran Gibbs and Ruth Ellis who was the last person to get hung in Britain.

But we're not here to talk about that.

We are here to talk about an important event that has been cancelled recently and has caused controversy amongst our community and that is, The Cancellation of the Sanderstead Fireworks.


The Sanderstead Fireworks has been running for over 40 years and has brought the people of Sanderstead together as one as a community.

In 2014, more than 3,000 people attended the Sanderstead Fireworks at Sanderstead's recreation ground and another 6,000 people were watching on Limpsfield Road, the road leading to the ground, giving a total of 9,000 people watching these fireworks, which is QUITE a lot of people.

This event has affected the community of Sanderstead in very mixed ways. I decided to interview residents of Sanderstead and see how this cancellation has affected them


The fireworks were funded by a company named the Rotary Club of Croydon Jubilee, and they have decided to cancel this great event because they cannot afford the funding for fireworks.

We want to bring them back. We want to send out a message: #BringBackTheLights. We want this message to be spread across the whole community of Sanderstead and to say to the Rotary Club of Croydon Jubilee that we want these fireworks back!

Please join in our cause. We want you to write on Facebook, Twitter, any type of social media a hashtag #BringBackTheLightsToSanderstead. If you can, we want you to write on the Rotary Club's Facebook page to convey this message.

If you want these fireworks back, please let's, as a community, let's #BringBackTheLights.

In the final shooting script, I used verbal terminology that is normally spoken to teenagers my age, for example using hashtags as a promotion, mentioning social media which is what appeals to most teenagers and using small facts to keep the audience engaged. I didn't want to bore my audience so by keeping the script short and simple, it was easier.

I felt I managed filming interviews of residents of Sanderstead to a professional standard. I asked simple questions to both of my interviewees, James Fisher and Carolyn Backway, like, for example:

1) How long have you lived in Sanderstead?

2) Do you have any fond memories of the Sanderstead Fireworks?

3) Do you think it is a shame they were cancelled?

After asking these questions, I soon expanded on the questions by asking both interviewees 'Do you have one particular memory that will stick with you before the cancellation?' and 'Why do you think they were cancelled by the Rotary Club of Croydon Jubilee?'. I received extremely detailed answers by both residents and they were then included in the documentary.

Overall, I feel like I managed the process of my documentary extremely well and published a documentary in which I feel appeals to young teenagers, aged between 16-18, which was my target audience. I managed everyone involved to a professional standard by shooting another shot of Sanderstead because I didn't feel that it was right. I think it was a very successful documentary as it delivered facts that would appeal to a younger audience and make them feel engaged with what I am saying to them. My main aim after the completed documentary was to catch the interest of the audience and when it was shown in front of a small group of teenagers my age, it received positive feedback and the audience seemed engaged with what they saw in front of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment