Wednesday 4 May 2016

Final Soundtrack Productions: Evaluation - DAVID

General Zod's Trial
In this scene from Man of Steel (2013), the director, Zack Snyder featured fantasy sound effects and different sounds not normally heard in normal days. For this scene, it was extremely difficult to create foley sound effects, so I resourced sound effects and the music heard from freesound.org and YouTube. I recorded, edited and finalised my project of General Zod's Trial on Garageband, which I found was simple and easy to use. At the beginning of the project, I had to record myself more than once because I had trouble with syncing my words to the actors on screen at the same time. In my final recording, I felt I synced the words at the same time which, in the end, made a better end soundtrack clip. I recorded my voice on Garageband using an Apple laptop and no other recording equipment. I recorded all of my audio at Coulsdon College as I was using my college's media equipment and using my lesson time to record my final soundtrack. For a couple of sound effects I found on freesound.org, I had to repeat the same sound effect more than once as they weren't long enough, some effects were only 5-8 seconds long, so I repeated the audio by copying the clip and putting in on another level, shown below:

As you can see, I repeated the last four sound effects on the bottom four layers

As said in my proposal, in this scene of Man of Steel, the music created and the sound effects used creates a mood in which a character is seeking revenge, and I feel like my scene has effectively communicated this by using a very dark tone of voice which I created and the music in the background which was taken from YouTube and the original Man of Steel soundtrack and the title being 'I Will Find Him', which was a line in the scene. I feel like my practical work does match my intentions in the proposal because I wanted to create a very dark scene in which a character is going to come back after being sentenced almost to his death. I feel my soundtrack production of General Zod's Trial was a success to make and did indeed match my original intentions into what I thought it was going to be like.  

Malcolm Tucker Rant
In this scene from The Thick Of It (TV Series 2005-2012), the director, Armando Iannucci tries to make this scene realistic as possible so he includes background sound effects, both on set and foley sound effects. For this scene, it was quite easy to create foley sound effects as they're not a lot in the scene. In my final soundtrack, I created 2 foley sound effects which are everyday sound effects, the first I created when Malcolm Tucker slams his books on his knees, I slammed my hands on a table which created quite a loud noise but I turned the volume down so it didn't dominate that moment. The second foley sound effect I used was the bicycle ring, which wasn't featured in the original material but I included it when the bicycle drives past the car as it made the scene funnier than it already was. I also used sound effects resourced from freesound.org. I recorded, edited and finalised my project of Malcolm Tucker's Rant on a Apple laptop using the application, Garageband, which I found was simple and easy to use. I recorded all of my audio at Coulsdon College as I was using my college's media equipment and using my lesson time to record my final soundtrack.

Overall picture of my project

This scene is very different compared to General Zod's Trial because it is set in real life and modern-day London so it was a lot easier to resource and make all of the sound effects and voice needed for this production. I feel the mood of anger and verbal abuse is very effectively communicated in my scene as I have used swear words which was in the original scene, and I have communicated a very angry type of voice which was also in the original scene and my original intentions for my scene. If I had communicated a very happy and cheery voice, it would have created a different mood and a different reaction and I don't think would have made sense because of the body language the actor uses, it made more sense to use an angrier voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment