Wednesday 13 April 2016

Final Soundtrack Productions: Proposal - DAVID

General Zod's Trial - Man of Steel



Man of Steel was released in June 2013, directed by Zack Snyder (Watchmen, 300) and starred Henry Cavill as Superman/Clark Kent, Amy Adams as Lois Lane and Michael Shannon as General Zod and more. Man of Steel follows the story of Clark Kent, one of the last of a race from a planet named Krypton and are disguised as humans, is forced to reveal his identity when Earth is invaded by an army of Kryptonian survivors looking to destroy Earth. The particular scene I have chosen is General Zod's Trial. This particular scene happens on the planet Krypton, after a fight between the antagonist, General Zod and Clark Kent's father named Jor-El. General Zod and his comrades is presented to the Kryptonian council in which they are sentenced to 'three-hundred cycles of somatic reconditioning'. The particular scene lasts for 2 minutes and 19 seconds, which is quite a long scene full of more sound effects and music than dialogue.

The director of this film is Zack Snyder who started directing in 1990 when he released a short video documentary named Playground. He made his feature-length debut in 2004 when he released zombie horror movie Dawn of the Dead, a reboot of the 1978 film, directed by George A. Romero. Since then, he has directed 300 (2006), Watchmen (2009), Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole (2010) and then rebooted the Superman film series in 2013, with Man of Steel and in 2016, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and is now filming Justice League Parts One (2017) and Two (2019). 

In this scene, there is non-diegetic music heard throughout, which is from the movie's soundtrack this track being called 'I Will Find Him', which is also a line said by Zod in the scene. The music included creates a mood in which a character is seeking revenge, which is General Zod's intentions for Clark Kent/Superman. This track I am getting from YouTube and downloading it to MP3. There is going to be diegetic sound effects which means sound effects that can be heard in the scene that I will download from www.freesound.org and use it in the scene. These sound effects include ship and prison ship engines starting; and electricity from the prison whirring the prison ships in.

I am going to transcribe the scene's spoken word from each character and lip-sync the scene myself. The original scene creates a mood focused on revenge, which is General Zod's main aim for the rest of the film. The scene shows 2 male characters speaking, so I will speak both characters by using two options, by putting on accents or different tones.

I have the opportunity to invite other people to work with as voice actors in my final soundtrack production, but as this is an individual task, I have come to the conclusion that I will voice-over and edit my scene on my own.

I will be using Apple laptops supplied from Coulsdon College and use recording equipment via the application Garageband supplied within the laptop, which is very easy to record on and include sound effects with. An advantage in using Garageband is that the application is very easy to record with on a computer or a laptop. Garageband can also allow a person to add as many music tracks as they want and can control any instrument or track. This involves adjusting the volume, muting or un-muting a track. Disadvantages to this programme include the application can only be used on Apple iMacs or devices that can download other apps. Another disadvantage is that the Garageband is not web based so I would need a device that already has it or we can download it on. Luckily, I have access to a Apple laptop that has the application and I know how to use it. I will record my voice on a laptop using the Garageband software in a soundproof studio next to my classroom, which would get a better result of no background sound from others in my class.      

Malcolm Tucker's Rant - The Thick of It



The Thick of It is a television series released by the BBC and ran for four seasons from 2005 to 2012. The particular scene I have chosen is from season 3 episode 2, released on 31st October 2009. Directed by Armando Iannucci and starred James Smith as Glenn Cullen, Peter Capaldi as Malcolm Tucker, Chris Addison as Oliver Reeder, Rebecca Front as Nicola Murray and more. This episode follows the story of Nicola Murray being in post as Secretary of State for a week, she has got given news that somebody in her department has wiped the immigration records of 170,000 people over the last months. On the same day, she has a press meeting with journalists from the Guardian which Malcolm Tucker attends. This scene happens after the meeting when she learns she revealed this type of news was revealed to a journalist who was in the same meeting, in which Malcolm goes mad at her. This scene lasts for 58 seconds which is a short clip but long enough for using dialogue.

The director of this film is Armando Iannucci who started directing in 1998 when he made a television short 'mockumentary' named Clinton: His Struggle with Dirt. Since this, he has directed many television shows, including I'm Alan Partridge (2002), The Thick of It (2005-2012) and Veep (2012-2015). He made his feature film debut in 2009 when he directed In The Loop, which used many characters from The Thick of It in the story. He is now in pre-production for his new film, The Death of Stalin, which is scheduled to be released in 2017.

Compared to the previous scene shown above, there is diegetic music heard throughout, which sets the mood of the scene as a typical London busy day with sounds like cars passing by and a bicycle bell heard when going past the car. I will create foley sound effects in this scene and also use sound effects downloaded from freesound.org and YouTube. For foley sound effects, I will use books slamming on a table, when Peter Capaldi's characters throws his paperwork very heavily onto his knees. As another foley sound effect, I will also use background voices as people walk past the car, so I might ask people in my class to have a conversation with each other and I will turn the volume down using Garageband software, to make it realistic as possible as it is set in modern-day London. I will record my voice on a laptop using the Garageband software in a soundproof studio next to my classroom, which would get a better result of no background sound from others in my class.  

In this scene, there are two people heard, a male character and a female character. The male character dominates the scene more as he has a lot more lines than her so I have two options: to ask a female person in my class to say the line, or if no-one is available, I will record the line myself. I have transcribed the scene onto a separate piece of paper so I can read the paper and say the lines at the same time. The mood or main theme generated from this particular script is anger, which is shown very vividly with the male character using swear words to emphasise his anger towards Nicola Murray. The words include 'Fuck's sake!','Fuck' and 'Erectile Dysfunction', which is not normally heard in conversation.

I have the opportunity to invite other people to work with as voice actors in my final soundtrack production so as there is a female character involved in the scene, I will ask a girl in my class to voice the character. 

I will be using Apple laptops supplied from Coulsdon College and use recording equipment via the application Garageband supplied within the laptop, which is very easy to record on and include sound effects with. An advantage in using Garageband is that the application is very easy to record with on a computer or a laptop. Garageband can also allow a person to add as many music tracks as they want and can control any instrument or track. This involves adjusting the volume, muting or un-muting a track. Disadvantages to this programme include the application can only be used on Apple iMacs or devices that can download other apps. Another disadvantage is that the Garageband is not web based so I would need a device that already has it or we can download it on. Luckily, I have access to a Apple laptop that has the application and I know how to use it. I will record my voice on a laptop using the Garageband software in a soundproof studio next to my classroom, which would get a better result of no background sound from others in my class.      





No comments:

Post a Comment